How do I know if I have a personal injury case?

You do not need to decide whether you have a personal injury case alone. We are here to help you make this determination. Often, people who are injured decide not to talk to a lawyer because they believe their injury was not serious enough to warrant a case or that it was simply an accident. There are many factors that contribute to determining whether a personal injury warrants legal intervention and it is our job at The Law Office of Robert L. Ward to help you make this determination.

Waiting to talk to an attorney may mean the loss the potential financial benefits that could help with long-term medical issues. Future health problems from an injury may become chronic and expensive, even if the injury did not appear to be serious at the time it occurred. Additionally, there is a two year statute of limitations in Texas to file a personal injury suit, so waiting is never in your best interest.

How much does it cost to get a personal injury attorney in North Texas?

Most cases are taken on a contingency fee basis. This means the injured victim or the victim’s family members are not responsible for any attorney’s fees or court costs until after a settlement is reached. This also means that the attorney does not get paid unless a recovery is made.

A personal injury lawyer fronts the litigation expenses, court costs and filing fees, and gets repaid out of the recovery amount. By working on a contingency fee basis, Cleburne and Granbury Attorney Robert L. Ward has an incentive to work the case as efficiently and effectively as possible since he does not get paid unless the case is won.

What is the Statute of Limitations for a personal injury claim?

In Texas, you have two years to file a personal injury claim. A statute of limitations is an amount of time you have to file a claim from the date of your accident. After the amount of time allowed by the statute has passed, you are not allowed to file a claim for that accident except in certain circumstances.

The statute of limitation begins to “run” from the date your accident occurred. That means the two year time period is calculated beginning with the day the accident happened. In some cases, when you can’t notice your injury right away, the time to file a claim is calculated from the time begins when you could have or should have known about your injury.

If you believe you have a personal injury case, Granbury Attorney Robert L. Ward can help you go through the next step to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible. 

How do I find an attorney?

Hiring an attorney is always difficult as it means that there is something contentious happening in your life.  Finding a qualified attorney who is ready and able to advocate for your legal needs is imperative and often difficult.

First, seek out attorneys who specialize in the area of law that will benefit you and your case. There are few one-size-fits-all attorneys, and those who claim to be probably are not. Focus on lawyers who have spent time litigating cases like yours.  Additionally, seek out attorneys who make you feel comfortable and well-heard. You will tell this person personal and private information, so you need to feel that they listen and truly want what's best for you.

Next, ask for referrals.  Talk to your family, friends, colleagues, clergy, neighbors and other professionals who would come into contact with lawyers. Most Bar Associations provide lawyer referrals, and may help you narrow down the type of lawyer you are looking for.  

Finally, investigate an attorney before you sign paperwork or pay retainers.  The American Bar Association offers a free service to help you conduct attorney research. This resource will help you determine which lawyer is qualified to take your case.

Do I need an attorney to get a divorce?

There is no legal requirement to hire an attorney to get a divorce in Texas.  However, pursuing a divorce without one is never a good idea. An attorney represents your interests and remains your committed advocate throughout the divorce process.  Most divorces involve property, distribution of debt, child custody, and the paperwork that accompanies a marital status change.

A quality attorney will assure these issues are handled in a fair and professional manner. Having a lawyer will reduce the stress of a very stressful situation and will help in managing the inflamed emotions that usually accompany a divorce. Hiring a lawyer does not mean that you expect conflict in your divorce proceedings. It does mean that you take the dissolution of a marriage seriously and intend to make the process fair and equitable.

Is Texas a No-Fault divorce state?

Currently, there are 17 states that allow for true no-fault divorces. Texas is not one of them. For a divorce in Texas, parties have to show grounds for the dissolution of a marriage. 

  • Insupportability.  Both parties agree that there is no expectation of reconciliation.
  • Living Apart.  Both parties have lived without cohabitation for at least three years.
  • Confinement in a mental hospital.  One spouse has been confined to a state or private mental hospital for three years.  Additionally, “the mental disorder is of such a degree and nature that adjustment is unlikely or that, if adjustment occurs, relapse is probable.”
  • Cruelty.  One spouse has treated the other with cruelty; therefore, living together is no longer possible.
  • Abandonment.  One spouse has left the relationship and intends to stay away for at one year.
  • Conviction of a felony. One spouse has been convicted of a felony.
  • Adultery. One spouse has committed adultery. (It is important to note that the accusing spouse must be able to prove adultery. Accusation or suspicion is not enough for grounds.)

Divorce is a complicated, personal, and often painful matter. No one should endure divorce alone. Let The Law Office of Robert L. Ward advocate for you to assure that your divorce is fair, equitable, and as painless as possible.

Do I need a lawyer if I've been arrested?

It is imperative that you contact a lawyer who is experienced in criminal defense as soon as you or someone you know has been arrested.  Often, having a lawyer present in those early moments can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Even after you have been arrested, you have rights that should not be violated. It is so important that you have an attorney advocating for you to protect these rights.

A criminal defense attorney will help you navigate the complicated, disorienting process of criminal charges, arrest, jail, and defense.  There are many mistakes you could make in this process that could be legally and financially disastrous. Additionally, a defense attorney will help manage the inflamed emotions that coincide with legal altercations.  Attorneys can act as a buffer with law enforcement. There is no more crucial time to have a true advocate by your side than when you have crossed path with the law.

Can I sue the manufacturer of my vehicle if I'm injured in an accident?

If a defect on your vehicle causes an accident or injury, you might be able to sue the car manufacturer. When operating a vehicle, you are legally required to avoid reckless driving and to follow all traffic laws. Unfortunately, even when driving safely, sometimes things happen. 

If an accident or injury is caused by a defect in a part on your vehicle, you might be able to file a product liability claim against the at-fault party (in this situation, the vehicle manufacturer). The Law Office of Robert L. Ward can help you figure out if your personal injury was caused by a defective part, and who would be the at-fault party. Let Robert L. Ward make sure you get the compensation you deserve.

Can someone be held responsible for slip and fall injuries?

Slipping and falling is a common occurrence for most people at some point in their lives. However, sometimes slips can cause serious and debilitating injuries. While a slip and fall can be a complete accident with no one at fault, depending on the situation, the owner of the property or someone else involved can be held accountable. 

Common causes for slip and fall accidents: 

  • Wet or curled up edges on floor mats
  • Cables and cords in walkways
  • Icy or wet walkways 
  • Any spilled liquids in walking areas
  • Uneven ground or ripped carpet in walking areas
  • Stairs  
  • Poor lighting

Though these are not the only incidents where slip and falls can occur, these are some of the most common. If a slip and fall occurs because the owner or manager of a building or space is negligent in taking care of their establishment, they could be responsible for the slip and fall. 

In order to file a claim and receive compensation for your accident, the an experienced attorney will have to prove that the owners of the building or business were negligent. This means that they knew about the hazard and failed to address it or failed to keep people away from the problem or hazard.

The Law Office of Robert L. Ward has decades of experience with personal injury law, including numerous slip and fall cases. We can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injury.

How long does it typically take to settle a Personal Injury case?

The length of time it will take to settle your personal injury case can depend on a few factors. One of the most important factors is whether you file an insurance claim or a lawsuit. When you hire the Law Office of Robert L. Ward, we will help you figure out which route is the best for your case. 

The process with an insurance claim involves a claims adjuster from the at-fault party's insurance company gathering information about your case in order to better reach a settlement. The entire process takes place outside of the court system. Typically this route resolves your case faster, but many times settles in favor of the insurance company. 

When you file a lawsuit for your case, the length of time to settle depends on many things. Many defendants decide to settle outside of court because going to trial is costly. If this is the case, it will speed up the process. But if your attorney feels the settlement is unfair, this could mean your case will go to trial, making the process much more lengthy. 

Of course, each personal injury case is different, and the Law Office of Robert L. Ward can help you figure out what's best for your unique case. 

How much time do I have to file a medical malpractice claim?

If medical malpractice occurs, it's best to reach out to a skilled personal injury attorney immediately. However, typically you have up to 2 years to file your medical malpractice claim. 

The sooner you act on your medical malpractice claim, the better. Robert L. Ward is the skilled personal injury attorney you need to ensure your medical malpractice claim is handled swiftly and efficiently in order to avoid lost time and lost evidence. 

When should I hire an attorney after a car accident?

Unfortunately, car accidents are all too common on the streets of Johnson and Hood Counties. Whether you're on a country road in Granbury or a major highway outside of Cleburne, accidents can happen anywhere. Sometimes it can be difficult to know when to file a lawsuit after a car accident. 

When you should hire an attorney after a car accident: 

  • One or more people were killed as a result of the accident 
  • One or more people were injured as a result of the accident 
  • The accident was a hit and run
  • One or more parties involved does not have auto or health insurance
  • Your insurance company denies your claim 
  • You become disabled as a result of the accident 
  • It is unclear who is at fault for the accident

Robert L. Ward has been a practicing attorney in North Texas for more than two decades, having represented countless clients in personal injury cases

What should I do after getting into a car accident?

The minutes after a car accident resulting in a personal injury can be a scary time, filled with confusion and sometimes more questions than answers. The Law Office of Robert L. Ward wants to do everything in our power to make sure you get the settlement you deserve.

What to do after a car accident:

  • Check for any injuries. If you have any, immediately make note of them. 
  • Call the non-emergency line for the local police
  • Exchange information with the other driver or drivers involved in the accident
  • Take photos of the scene and all the vehicles involved. Make sure to photo any and all damages 
  • Call your insurance company as soon as you can 
  • Get medical attention for any injuries as soon as possible 
  • Hire an attorney

It is best to keep a record of anything that occurred at the scene of an accident, just in case there is any dispute about what happened at any point during the resolution process. 

Why is an accident involving an 18-wheeler different from other motor vehicle accidents?

Accidents of all kinds can be scary for everyone involved. But when a vehicle as large as an 18-wheeler is involved, it adds even more stress to the situation. 

But these accidents differ from other Texas motor vehicle accidents for a couple of reasons. Commercial truck drivers are hired by trucking companies, and both drivers and trucking companies are subject to federal and state regulations put in place. Regular drivers on Texas roads are not subject to these same regulations. 

Additionally, in accidents involving an 18-wheeler, there are more parties involved than just the driver and the trucking company. Typically a cargo company is also involved, as well as the manufacturer of the truck. With all of the parties involved, these accidents can quickly become complicated. 

The Law Office of Robert L. Ward has successfully handled 18-wheeler accidents for years, and can quickly and professionally navigate you through these difficult cases. 

What do I do if I feel my loved one has been abused while in a nursing home?

As difficult as it may be to come to terms with, at times, our elderly loved ones can become injured or abused while in the care of a Texas nursing home. There are multiple ways that these injuries can occur. Whether at the hands of a nursing home employee, because of faulty equipment, or due to neglected or unsafe conditions in the facility, someone should be held accountable for your loved one's injury or death. 

Nursing home abuse is an extremely serious issue. In order to get to the bottom of the situation, you need to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you get justice for your loved one. The Law Office of Robert L. Ward will handle your case with care and compassion. An experienced attorney will be responsible for gathering evidence and helping you gain closure in the case of elder abuse under nursing home care, while holding those responsible accountable.

What do I do if I have been attacked by a dog?

After being attacked by a dog in Texas, it is important to get documented medical attention for your injuries, even if they are small. Many dog attack victims will continue to suffer from anxiety around dogs and animals for years to come. If you are the victim of a dog attack, you could be entitled to a large settlement to cover both your medical expenses and the long-lasting effects that come with being attacked by a dog. 

Dog attacks can be very traumatic for victims. If the injury is severe enough, dog attack victims may require surgery and rehab. The Law Office of Robert L. Ward proudly represents victims of dog attacks. Whether the case goes to court or a settlement is reached before the case goes to trial, Personal Injury Attorney Robert L. Ward with be with you every step of the way. 

Do all personal injury cases go to court?

Many times, defendants in Texas personal injury cases do not want these cases going to court. Trials are costly, and it works in the benefit of all parties to settle before the case goes to court. 

In some cases though, your personal injury attorney may not feel the settlement is fair, and that the compensation the victim is set to receive is not enough. With Robert L. Ward as your personal injury attorney in Cleburne or Granbury, we can guarantee he will fight to get you the fair compensation you deserve.

The Law Office of Robert L. Ward will never settle for less than your stress, medical bills, and injuries are worth. Occasionally, this will mean taking a case to court. In which case you can trust that Robert L. Ward will guide you, assist you and fight for you every step of the way.

Robert L. Ward is the Attorney You Need On Your Side!

Let's Talk About Strong Legal Representation For Your Case