Dogs can be man's best friend, but they can also be ferocious attackers. If you are the victim of a dog bite, chances are your opinion of canines has been tainted. Dog bites can be excruciating and often require stitches and careful wound cleaning. In some cases, dog bites can become infected, leading to additional procedures or surgeries.
Dog bites can also cause obvious scarring, leading to disfigurement. If you have been attacked by a dog, consider suing the liable party.
Owners Are Liable in Dog Attacks
If you are attacked by a dog and you can locate the owner, the individual is automatically liable for the dog's actions. Even if they insist that their dog is not normally aggressive, or claim that they have never known their dog to bite, the owner can still be held accountable. This is especially true if the owner allowed the dog to wander without a leash or tied the dog up on a leash that allowed the animal too much room.
Dog Bite Lawsuit Process
As with most personal injury lawsuits, you don't always go to trial when suing a dog-owner. In fact, in many cases you may be able to avoid trial with a settlement. A skilled attorney at the Law Office of Robert L. Ward can help you decide whether or not you should accept a settlement or pursue a case to trial. Our team is not afraid to take cases to trial when necessary.
The steps involved in a dog bite lawsuits are:
- Send a demand letter to the dog owner, informing him or her of your intent to sue
- Include a settlement amount in your letter if you would like to avoid trial
- Enter a period of negotiation with the dog owner
- If no settlement is reached during negotiation, take the case to trial
- Collect all evidence to prove your injuries
- An attorney will argue on your behalf in the courtroom
- Witnesses may be called and cross-examined
- Attorneys give their closing arguments
- Judge and / or jury will deliberate
- Verdict is reached
When you hire the Law Office of Robert L. Ward, there's no charge unless we win your case. You won't have to pay us anything until we recover money for your dog bite injuries. Contact us today so recover the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries. We are committed to our clients, and we're ready to get to work for you.